Really, this is just an excuse to tell you all it’s my birthday.
But for real, I do have some thoughts I’d like to share, lessons learned that apply not only to writing but to life in general.
So in honor of my 34th, here are 34 things I’ve learned in my 34 years.
- Believe in something powerful. Whether it’s God, Science, Source or yourself, keep it for when you need something to drag you through the darkness.
- First impressions aren’t worth much (this is courtesy of my new neighbor who just brought over a delivery she got by accident while I was in the middle of my morning work out, shouting at the dog and my son not to open the door until i got the dogs outside so they didn’t maul her and her adorable children, all of whom i was meeting for the first time. Did i mention one of the dogs had shredded an unused diaper in the foyer that I hadn’t managed to clean up yet?)
- Everyone has something about them that sucks. Get over it.
- Everyone has something about them that is awesome. Find it.
- Jealousy detracts from you. Turn it to Admiration and use it to give honest praise and inspire yourself.
- Patience really is a virtue.
- Love is patient and love is kind, but the people you love can drain the life out of you if you don’t take time for yourself.
- The best stories root themselves into our hearts and continue to inspire us through out our life.
- Sometimes it’s okay to turn the TV on for the kids in the middle of the day.
- Life is too short to spend with people you don’t like.
- Dogs are some kind of angels. Messy, annoying, loud angels.
- There are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends (Stole this one from Peter Beagle)
- Sometimes the straightest path to your goal involves alot of difficult terrain.
- There is no us and them. Every group consists of individuals trying to do the best for themselves and their loved ones.
- Cats are assholes. Adorable, snuggly assholes.
- Relationships change because people change. It is okay to grow apart. It is okay to let go. It is okay to make adjustments and change with the relationship.
- It’s never too late to pursue a dream.
- No one will ever complete you. You are already complete. Find the pieces within yourself.
- Lies will always come back to you. Be honest, even when it is hard.
- It is possible, and important, to be honest and still be kind.
- Our planet is a beautiful gift. Enjoy it!
- Mistakes and failures are just lessons. They will never stop coming so just accept this already and move on to the next one.
- There is real magic. You will encounter it. Don’t brush it off or you won’t notice it the next time.
- Relationships are not supposed to be really hard. If it’s a constant struggle to be in it, then there is big problem.
- Everyone’s problems are the most important problems to them.
- Expect the best of people in your life. They will usually meet those expectation.
- Forgive the people you love. Count to ten, take a few days, whatever you need to do, but do it.
- Siblings are your best and worst friends. Cherish them.
- Whatever you do, whoever you are, own it.
- Don’t waste time trying to impress snobs.
- Giving compliments costs you nothing but it does alot to brighten the world.
- There are no calories on your birthday.
- If you don’t love yourself now, losing weight, gaining money, getting a boyfriend, a promotion, a new car, a boob job will not change that. You can always improve, but you have to like the product to start with.
- The world is NOT a bad place unless you focus on the bad.
Much love friends. Thanks for the support!