I am still bed bound, mostly. First round edits on “Summer’s Circle” are progressing which is very good because otherwise I am still creatively tapped out.
So while I generally try to be optimistic and supportive, today I am going to vent just a little. These are things that are irritating me at the moment.
- The suggestion to pitch your work as a cross between X and Y. How about my work is just a cross between my work and my work?
- My dogs make as much of a mess as my kids. So it’s like having four kids in the house and at least one of them poops on the floor.
- Reading the second book of a sequel and realizing that all the work the author put into the first book did not go into any of the others in the series. This just happened with a series by a very famous, awarded author. So disappointing.
- After surgery, you have to choose between pain killers and wine. I know, it’s just good sense, but it just doesn’t seem very fair.
- VERY SPECIFIC GENRES when my stories don’t fit into even one broad genre. And hearing back from someone saying “Sorry I don’t do fantasy” even though my work was pitched as “horror with certain fantasy elements”.
- Two more friends of mine published this week. I am so proud for them and really really jealous. But mostly proud. Mostly.
- The conundrum that publishers and agents want unique work but they are afraid to take anything there isn’t a market for. Boo.
- The mild feminist rage I am feeling right about about a handful of world and personal issues.
- My twitter tailored trends is no longer showing me writing related hashtags and trends. I’m getting lots of sports stuff. Obviously there is a huge malfunction somewhere but I don’t know how to fix it.
- “Summer’s Circle” is as quietly disturbing and interesting as I hoped, now that I’m giving it the first read through. I hope it doesn’t take me a year to edit.